The 2nd edition of the GROW your REGIOn conference was held from 8 to 9 november 2017. 315 stakeholders from 25 countries shared their experiences and ideas about future actions for boosting smart interregional collaboration through clusters…
19 topics were discussed among all ideas:
- Interregional collaboration through clusters is a key tool for supporting innovation, industrial modernization and the scaling up of SMEs
- The right partners – policy-makers, SME intermediaries and industry – need to be involved
- Dedicated support, new initiatives and sustainable partnerships are needed to advance collaboration in specialized themes
Several French clusters attended the conference. Amongst them, the association France Clusters, and the competitiveness clusters Aqua-Valley, Aerospace Valley, Lyonbiopôle, Elastopole, and so on.
The conference was opened by Ximo Puig, president of the Valencia Regional Government. After which, key note speeches were given by :
- Antti Peltomaki : Deputy Director-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs
- Peter Berkowitz : Head of Unit for Smart and Sustainable Growth of the Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy of the European Commission
Antti Peltomaki’s statement that « Europe needs a real push for cross-fertilization accross and regional and sectoral silos » was echoed by the participants. This is the fastest way to modernize Europe’s industry. Berkowitz added that we need real regional involvement to settle strategic European partnerships.
The Commission gathered speakers from 6 different Commission services, dealing with industrial, regional, research and digital policies and the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
The event was closed by Ulla Engelmann, Head of Unit for Clusters, Social Economy and Entrepreneurship at the European Commission’s Director-General for the Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs. She presented the Commission’s vision towards joint cluster initiatives and announced 2 initiatives to be launched in 2017:
- the COSME call for proposal for European strategic cluster partnerships for smart specialisation investments
- the call for expression of interests for 7 test regions to be supported by the European observatory for clusters and industrial change.